THA Current Recommendations on Testing/Vaccinations Updated 09/01/2021
1. Pfizer Vaccine has received full FDA approval
2. OSHA has reversed an earlier ruling and stated that an adverse effect from a mandated vaccine is not a reportable event.
3. Adverse effects from mandated vaccines can still be a worker’s compensation actionable event.
4. The Delta variant is more infectious than other variants and appears to be leading to serious illness and hospitalization.
1. Until the vaccine has been in place for 2-3 years, we do not recommend mandating the vaccine because of negative influence on workforce morale.
2. We strongly recommend universal masking indoors unless seated 6 feet apart. Why masking even for vaccinated people?
The reason vaccinated people are being asked more and more to wear masks again is that the Delta variant can be spread equally by vaccinated and unvaccinated people – and vaccinated people can still become ill (although serious illness and death are MUCH less significant in vaccinated people). Delta is more infectious than prior variants – one infected person infects 5-8 people on average vs. 1-2 people with the prior variants. It is unclear whether Delta produces more serious illness – but it appears that it may because the number of breakthrough infections are growing.
Additionally, there are the following items that health officials are considering:
1. Infection-based immunity only seems to last about 90 days.
2. The vaccines, while still effective, appear to be only about two-thirds’ effective against the Delta variant – based on two studies
3. We strongly recommend encouraging vaccinations but do not recommend penalizing people who do not get vaccinated.
4. We are neutral on weekly testing for unvaccinated people; however, if a company does decide to implement testing for unvaccinated people, we recommend:
a. Universal Masking
b. Having HR administer the receipt of the test results so that vaccination status and test status are not overseen by the manager.
319 Garlington Road, Suite B3
Greenville, SC 29615
Connect over social media for all the latest updates from The Hayes Approach.